Learn how to navigate and overcome a hoarding situation in a residential multifamily setting. This Lunch and Learn discussion will cover important and factual information about the Hoarding Disorder, Fair Housing & Legal Aspects, and Clean-up Process & Procedures.
- Definition of Hoarding
- Protected Classes (The Fair Housing Act - Federal and Local Municipalities)
- Manifestations of Hoarding
- Lease & Law Violations
- How State and Federal Law Apply to Hoarding Scenarios
- Tenant and Landlord Rights & Remedies
- Proper Clean-up Protocol
- Overview of the disorder: cause, onset, and symptomatology
- Treatment of hoarding and prognosis
- Intervention of hoarding
Benefits of Attending:
- Earn 2 CECs needed for all NAAEI credentials that require annual renewal and are required to maintain AIME membership. This includes CAM, NALP, CAPS, CAS and AIME.
- Learn how to manage a hoarding situation within multifamily housing guidelines
- Know who to contact when a hoarding situation arises
- Understand proactivity versus reactivity strategies
- Avoid falling into legal allegations or pitfalls
- Develop strong timelines for efficient clean-up performance
- Be aware of potential exposure to bio hazardous risks, microbial growth, and other issues that could arise from hoarding
- Learn how to properly dispose any unwanted or unnecessary items to prevent or overcome hoarding
- Understand landlord requirements to provide reasonable accommodations
About the Speakers
The Therapy Hub at Stetson Counseling & Wellness, LLC is a private practice owned by Amber Ahern, MS, LMHC, PhD in West Palm Beach. The Therapy Hub is growing and will employ 4 other clinicians this Fall!
Amber Ahern received her undergraduate Bachelors degree in psychology from the University of Central Florida and a Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Doctorate in Criminal Justice Behavioral Sciences from Nova Southeastern University. Amber has worked in the field for almost 10 years, with a variety of populations, in jail and rehabilitation settings, in the psychiatric hospital setting, with victims of crime, and in drug court and mental health court. She has been in Private Practice since 2013. She owns Stetson Counseling & Wellness and The Therapy Hub and is the Director of the non-profit organization, the South Florida Link Coalition. Amber also conducts professional trainings, provides consulting services, and professional supervision services to provisionally licensed therapists. Click Here to Learn More
Barfield, McCain, P.A.
Barfield, McCain P.A. is an AV-rated® real estate law firm that is recognized throughout Florida for providing superior, cost effective legal services to landlords, real estate investors, management companies, lenders, developers, associations and real estate professionals. Click Here to Learn More
Interstate Restoration is a North American emergency response and general restoration contractor focused on delivering outstanding job quality and better customer experiences. No matter the time of day or the time of year, you can count on Interstate Restoration for the most efficient response to disasters. Click Here to Learn More